What do you mean by the ‘Power House of the Cell? What is Ultra structure?
Ans. Mitochondria are known as the Power House of the cell.
1. Elongated, Rod like or elliptical in shape (3-4 µm in length and 0.5-1 µm in diameter).
2. Enclosed in Double unit membrane.
3. Inner membrane gives out numerous Cristae mitochondriales inside the mitochondrial lumen.
4. Outer wall of cristae contains F1 particles formed of ATPase.
5. The inner matrix contains different enzymes of the TCA cycle.
6. Mitochondrial DNA is found inside mitochondria.