* Define bacteria?
– One type of aerobic or anaerobic, found to occur in air, in water, in soil, in living organisms, etc. familiarly called as microbe, smallest and simplest unicellular microscopic amazing characteristic organism called bacteria.
* Mention four characteristic features of bacteria.
– The following are the four characteristic features of bacteria.
- Smallest unicellular living organisms but sometimes certain bacteria may be united to form a filament.
- Mostly heterotrophic bacterial cell surrounded by a cell wall.
- The bacterial cell is without cholorophyll; but certain bacteria like Rhodospirillum, Rhodopseudomonas, etc. possess chlorophyll in their cell called bacteriochlorophyll, hence they are autotrophic.
- Bacteria do not possess true nucleus as it lacks nuclear membrane and nucleolus.
*Name the largest and smallest bacteria.
-Largest known bacteria- Bacillus butschili (80 µm. in length)
– Smallest known bacteria – Dialister pneumosintes (0.15 µm. in diameter)
* Who first placed bacteria bacteria under Plant Kingdom?
– Ferdunand J. Cohn (1854) first put the bacteria under the plant kidgdom: due to some similarity in characters, such as, presence of two layered definite cell wall, similar to the blue green algae in structure.
* Mention the similarity between bacteria and fungi.
- Cell wall made up of chitin.
- Absence of chlorophyll and
- Saprophytic mode of nutrition
* Who first noted the relationship between bacteria and fungi?
– Nageli (1857) first noted the relationship bacteria and fungi.
* Who introduced the term schizomycetes for bacteria?
– Nageli (1857) introduced the term schizomycetes for bacteria.
* Why bacteria is called a plant?
– Bacteria are regarded as plants due to the following reasons:
(a) Like plants the cell wall of bacteria also composed of lipid, protein and polysaccharides.
(b) Like plants bacteria also reproduces vegetatively.
(c) Like plants bacteria can also synthesize vitamins, and
(d) The presence of bacteriochlorophyll in the cells of some bacteria.