Giemsa stain can also be used to stain films of unformed faeces, faecal exudate, duodenal aspirates etc.
1. Make a thin film of faeces/exudate. Allow to dry.
2. Fix in methanol for 1 min.
3. Tip off the methanol and flood the slide with Giemsa stain (Code – 1484) diluted 1:10 with buffered distilled water pH 7.2. The diluted stain must be freshly prepared each time.
4. Stain for 20-25 min.
5. Run tap water on to the slide to float off the stain and prevent deposition of precipitate on to the film. Allow to drain dry.
6. Examine the film using the oil immersion objective and immersion oil (Code 1521).
Parasite nuclei and structures containing chromatin – red
Leucocyte nuclei – purple
Yeasts and bacteria – dark blue.